Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pinterest Find - Tub Cleaner

Howdy All!

So lately I have to admit, I am an addict of Pinterest. 
One of the things I found and wanted to do is this Tub Cleaner recipe where you use equal parts of Dawn Dish Soap and Vinegar.  I have been intrigued by it to know if it really worked so today when I went grocery shopping I picked up a bottle of Dawn (not my usual brand) and a new spray bottle to try it out.

I did not take a "Before" photo of my tub because it was really really really bad.  It's been a while since I scrubbed it and I am actually ashamed of myself for letting it go for so long.  It was definitely time to clean it.  You see, I love bubble baths and of course with bubble baths come soap scum.  So the level of yuck was pretty high....

I did take a few photos of how it was after I sprayed the solution in the tub.  I don't know if it made it look any better or a crude attempt to hide the ring, scum, and yuck by shading it blue.  Here goes: (I still can't believe I am actually doing this....)


One thing I noticed is there is a definite chemical smell going on...use in a bathroom with enough ventilation or if you are able too, please open a window.  I am sure my husband will say something about the smell when he enters our bedroom later this evening when he gets home from work....if he doesn't say anything then the smell will have finally disappated.  This is the master bath so its in our bedroom.

I left the tub to soak only for a little while as I wanted to be able to see the results.  Those that know me, know I am very impatient that way!  It may have sat 20 minutes.  The various entries on pinterest talk about letting it go for at least one hour if not to over night.

One thing they don't say in bold letters which I think they should is to use alot of DRY TOWELS to wipe the solution up with.  If you are a paper towel girl, you could use them and simply dispose of them.  I on the other hand only use paper towel when its ultimately yucky and I am not willing to wash it.  So I have a box of rags I use for cleaning.  I went thru my entire box and a few clean bath towels as well.  I am going to wait until they have dried a bit before I attempt to washing them.  I can just imagine what is going to happen when I wash them.  I might run them in the washer with just plain water first and then really "wash" them.  I hope I just don't have suds coming out from the top of my machine like the time I was stupid enough to put dish detergent in the dish washer.  (LONG STORY for another post! LOL)  Needless to say suds were all over the floor of my kitchen when I came home from work that day!

Anyways, after I wiped everything up, here is the result.



I think it did a pretty good job for only 20 minutes.  One thing I noticed is that I have really REALLY hard water where I live.  I get alot of spots from the mineral content in it (and we are on City Water).  There are usually spots all over the faucet and metal parts, lime and calcium build up etc.  This took alot of it off completely!  I have not seen it shine like this in a long long time.  Normally I have to scrub the metal parts with a brillo pad to make it sparkle.   Now before you get too critical, yes I do still see some spots that need to be addressed and will let the solution soak longer next time, but I do believe this worked very well. 

As a Lupus patient, one of the things I go through is not having the energy any more to scrub things with good old fashioned "elbow grease".  I simply don't have the strength.  Heck I have to take breaks while I am typing this blog because my arms hurt just from bending at the elbows this very moment.

I do have to say, I am a believer and will be doing this again very soon on the boys' bathtub.  Now that one will definitely sit for a full hour! LOL

Sincerely,
Crystal

2 comments:

  1. I too have health problems that prevent me from doing things for any lenght of time. I did use one of the automatic shower cleaners, but they just don't last long enouhg so I am now using the spray kind.

    I still think the shower needs to be hand cleaned from time to time even if you can't see anything. I might give this a try because we always have both ingredients on hand.

    Thanks for posting, this is a really economical idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I do for my shower head is I remove it and place it in a non reactive bowl (I use glass) and place the parts of the shower head in it. Pour vinegar over to cover and let them sit over night. If you have any buildup, the vinegar will dissolve it. This has worked wonders for me in the past and still do it every other month. If you can't remove the shower head itself, then put vinegar in a freezer bag and then tie it up around the nozzle so its sitting in the vinegar. Secure it with a rubber band and then remove it in the morning.

    Both of these will clean the shower head and should increase the flow path of the water a bit if they are clogged.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails