Monday, May 21, 2012

A Raw Slaw



Ok so almost every coleslaw is raw....depends if Mayonaise is in it I guess.  I am not a fan of Mayo and decided to come up with my own version instead. Last week wanting something for dinner, I looked in the fridge and used what Veggies I had on hand so they would not spoil on me and more importantly, not waste any food.

There is no exact recipe since I don't really measure anything at this point....guess I should start measuring out stuff.

This is a Raw Slaw made from (approx measurements):

5 Kale Leaves, shredded
1 small baby Bok Choy, chopped
1 Red Delicious Apple, diced
1/2 a Yellow and 1/2 an Orange Bell Pepper, diced
1 small carrot diced

The dressing is made from:
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
Dash of Salt (Himalayan)
1/2 teaspoon of Kelp Powder (my choice for salt substitute)
Fresh grated Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of Dried Thyme (I powdered it in my Mortar and Pestle)

Whisk the above dressing items together and then pour over the veggies.  Use hands to gently toss the slaw.  I let it sit in the fridge for one hour before eating so the flavors could marry. 

This was surprisingly pretty good.  Not as sweet as I usually like but nice.  Next time I think I might add about 1/4 cup of either Apple Juice or fresh squeezed Orange Juice.  I think it would make it even better.  This also made about 3 servings for me as a side dish.  It would make a very large serving if you ate it as a meal.    Actually, I don't think I could eat the whole thing even if I was starving...this made a large amount of food!

If you try this, let me know what you think about it!

Sincerely,
Crystal



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails