Friday, March 23, 2012

F is for Food Magick

So these past few weeks I have been writing predominately about food.  Why?  I have a firm believe that food was one of the first and oldest forms of magic that was used.  Do I have any proof?  Of course not.  However, food is in our everyday lives.  Without food and water, we can not survive.  It nourishes us, grounds us, gives us energy, and heals us as well. 

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."
- Hippocrates

Many people have heard of this saying in one form or another.  I have been on a path for a few months now researching how food and magick can achieve the same results.  For those of us that love creating magic in the kitchen in the form of food, why can't we cast our spells using the same process? 

If you want to manifest more prosperity, try using and consuming some mint in your meals?  It can be used in the form of tea, ice cream, cookies, brownies, cake, plus many more options out there.

If you are working on some love, trying using aphrodisiacs such as Asparagus (see my past post), honey, strawberries (which you can go one step further and dip them in chocolate), bananas, Figs (see my past post) in your meal.

Many of us use Pomegranates during the Fall to celebrate the descent of Persephone.  Many of us acknowledge or use the Apple showing its natural pent in its center when cut horizonatally. 

Eggs are honored and used during Ostara for symbols of fertility.

There are just so many ways to use food in our magick!  I try to as much as possible.

Not many people realize but every year we use food in our magick in one simple dish, a cake.  We place candles upon that cake to manifest something we desire.  The birthday cake can be traced back to Ancient Greece.  They made round or crescent cakes from honey and used them in their rites to worship the Goddess Artemis. They brought them to her temple during their rites to celebrate her.  It is also recorded as well that the first birthday cakes were round in shape to honor the Moon.  So at least once a year a person even if they are not a great cook, could use food in their magick celebrating their own birthday!


There are many books on the subject of food being used in magick.  A few of them are:

Magic in Food: Legends, Lore, and Spellwork by Scott Cunningham
Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen by Scott Cunningham
Strange Fruit: Alchemy, Religion and Magial Foods A Speculative History by Clark Heinrich
 The Mystical and Magical Properties of Food by Michael Elson
Magick for the Kitchen Witch by Deanna Anderson

There are many more out there, but those are just a few of the ones I have read.

So I hope you can "Find the magick in your meals and celebrate Gaia's Bounty!"

Sincerely,
Crystal 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post! I'll definitely check out your resources!

    Could you say where you read about the birthday cakes? I find it really interesting and would like to read more about it, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I read about them a long time ago when I was doing a research paper for college. I will see if I still have the paper (its about 20 years old in a storage tote somewhere)and post it when I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lore of Birthdays by Ralph and Adelin Linton
    I did a search on the net for history of birthday cakes and came across a site using the same paragraph that was in my notes...so it has to be the same book.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails