Friday, February 17, 2012

D is for Dandelions


One of the earliest and oldest forms of Magick I know comes from my childhood.  Sending our messages for wishes out into the world in the form of Dandelions.  I can remember picking them in the yard as a child in my own yard, that of both sets of grandparents, neighbors, where ever I could find the soft flower that resembeled cotton balls.  Whenever I blew a wish on them, I thouht of the seeds to be fairies dancing in the wind to the heavens to carry my specific desires.

As I grew into an adult, I realized these magical beings were known by many others (especially my father and now my husband) to only call this plant a weed and mean it in a derogatory sense.  So for some of my adult life, I participated in the pulling and eliminating of this plant from my yard to help my husband have the "pristine green" yard during the summer. 

Back in 1998 or 99 (we believe because it was before I married) I met an incredible woman that would change my mind and opinion about the Dandelion.  Let's call her "Mama Thyme" (mental note, need to ask her permission to use her first name, and if you are reading this is it ok to use your first name?).  I attended an event she was hosting during Lammas called "Blessing of the Lake".  While there I had participated in something they called the Trading Blanket.  We drew cards from the Tarot to see who would go first.  I am usually attracted to books and choose a book called "Healing Wise" by Susun Weed.  I opened the cover and it was autographed.  I couldn't wait to read this book of herbs whenever I got home.  If you have not read this book yet, you should get it if you would like a closer connection to Plant Deva's in general.  The way that Susun writes this book is as if the plant itself is talking to you... this book gave me such a closer personal relationship to this Plant Ally!

During the event, we went on a wild walk to gather things for our salad.  Among them were dandelions.  They were young tender leaves to be used in place of lettuce.  I never knew you could eat these "weeds"!  As we were on our walk, one of her apprentices told us that when harvesting the leaf, look for the younger and small shoots.  They will be more tender and less bitter as their older counterparts. 

I was also exposed to drinking infusions during the course of the year while going to Moonlodges hosted by Mama Thyme.  Drinking Dandelion infusion (or for some not wanting the strong infusion flavor and prefer the weaker version as a tea) is a great diuretic when brewing its leaves.  Dandelion in the form of its leaves and or making a decoction with its roots gives a person medicial effects for the liver, gall bladder, and kidney ailments.  It also assists with digestion (great in combination with ginger root and raspberry from my own personal taste buds) and also with rheumatism.   However, you do need to take precautions as well when drinking this fabulous root because it is also a mild laxative.  So if you decide to start drinking it, start off slow to see how it effects you personally.  Don't start off drinking it straight by the quarts of infusion!

Now for some Correspondences:

Deity:  Fauna, Hecate
Planetary Ruler:  Jupiter and Sagitarius
Gender: Masculine
Elemental: Air and Spirit
Magical Intent:  Astral, Communication, Divination, Healing, Purification, Legal Matters, Luck, Manifestations, Ritual Cleansing, Weather Magick, Wish Magick
Chinese Gender: Yin (Cool)
Chinese Food: Bitter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe:

To remember that special weekend when I was initated into the Green Witch Tradition, every year during Lammas (the Sabbat closest to the date it happened) I include dandelion greens in a meal.  For me, this is a reminder and purification of my soul so to speak of the oath and commitment I made to the Goddess that day many moons ago. 

Green Witch Greens:

1 pound of dandelion greens
1 small chopped onion
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese (I use the Vegetarian brand available at Whole Foods from its 365 Line)
1 Chile Pepper or Hot Sauce to taste (if you want to spice it up, optional)
Bacon (if you have to have meat, optional)

Soak the dandelion greens in salted water for about 10 minutes. 

While the Dandelions are soaking, prepare your other ingridents chopping your onion and garlic.

When the ten minutes is up, rinse well in colander with running water. (Imagine that the running water from the faucet is like a running spring/river cleansing the greens as it could cleanse yourself or magical tool.)   Cut the greens into bite size pieces.  Place the greens in a pan with a little amount of water and saute for a few minutes until tender.  While you are doing this...

In another pan, saute the onion in the olive oil for about 3 minutes.  Add the garlic to the onion.  (Now if you are option to use bacon in this recipe, brown 3-5 strips of bacon.  Brown bacon until crisp so  you can crumble it later.  Reserve its drippings.  In place of the olive oil, you could use the drippings in place.)

Now drain the greens again and add the dandelions to the pan of onion and garlic.  Saute them for just a few minutes to mingle the flavors.  Serve the greens garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon (optional). 

-----------------------------------------------------------

The past few months, I am switching from an animal protein based diet to a plant one.  I am also attempting to go Raw as well. I am currently working on a raw recipe alternative for this dish.  If you are interested in the recipe when I find a sucessful recipe (to my taste buds anyways) please make sure to either subscribe or leave a comment for this post so I can send it to you whenever I find/create it.

Note to Mama Thyme, next time we are together can I get someone to take our photo?  I want a photo of us to put on my altar of those that inspire me.  You are one of the few women in my life I don't have a single photo of with me.  I do have photos I can take from your FB page or Susun's website but would like one of the two of us. Think about it and let me know.

Goddess Bless and here is to finding the Magic in your Meals!

Sincerely,
Crystal

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I'll admit I still pick a dandelion every now and again and send my wishes soaring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We are seeing dandelion leaves showing up more in our farmers markets here.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails