Thursday, January 13, 2011

Llewellyn's Calendar Controversy

It seems to be a bit of controversy with Llewellyn's datebook.  This year for Ostara there is a recipe for rabbit.  Eating rabbit that is.  I can only say, there are Pagans out there that eat MEAT too!  We are not all vegetarians.  I am very happy about this recipe being included. 

As a "daughter" of Artemis, the Goddess of the Hunt, I am a daughter of the hunt.  Majority of the meat my family eats is provided by various members of our family's harvesting during the many hunting and fishing seasons. This ranges from deer, fowl, and fish.  I believe that the Goddess has provided us with the gifts of nourishment that come in both plant and animal form.  We are all apart of the circle of life.   I would so eat a rabbit before eating at a fast food chain!  Rabbits (in my case wild, not pets) would be so much better for you.  However, rabbit is also a very very lean meat  with minimal fat and oils so humans could not live on that one source of meat alone.

Both plant and animals have energy and life forces within them.  I don't understand how some people can think that being a vegetarian is so much better. Plants provide approximately 95% the oxygen that we breathe with each and every breath we take.   Plants have just as much life force with in them as animals do.  When a plant is harvested, its life force is taken away just like the life force of an animal is taken away from the hunt. 

The hunt is a ritul for those that perform it.  It is apart of the hunter and his or her lifestyle.  Also for those rare few, like myself, it is apart of their spirituality.

I applaud Llewellyn for including the recipes for meat dishes submitted by Ms. Barrette.  I would like to see for future issues an equal number of recipes for both meat and meatless dishes.  All food is nourishment, both in plant and animal form.  Thank you Llewellyn for not only nourishing us spiritually, but in this case, this meat eater's belly as well!  I can't wait to try this recipe!

Sincerely,
Crystal

1 comment:

  1. Very well put. I was happy to see it in my datebook....and I totally agree 100% about plant life being equally important and animal life. I think it all depends on how the life is taken, and how those that consume it do so (do they say a prayer of thanks for the sacrifice for example, or do they just mindlessly stuff their face?) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails